Monday, May 9, 2011

Let's Give this a Whirl

SO...

Blogging has been something I've wanted to do for quite some time...as if full time work, three kids, grad school, and a house to keep isn't enough. I feel like I've got a lot to say (for those who know me, I am confident you just snorted a little and said 'that's for sure'). I intend to use this blog as a place where I can share my viewpoints (abnormal at times), share some laughs (happens often), and talk about the things that swirl around in my mind. The best part about this blog is that those of you who would normally receive the email with my quipping and nonsense can now find them here (this ends with a collective sigh or relief, I'm sure...)

Let's give this a whirl.

Yesterday, for those of you who don't know (shame on you!) was Mother's Day. I had a great day - church was AH-MAZING (per usual), breakfast at my parents (famous homefries!), and then some R&R at home. It was during this R&R I had an epiphany (I have them often).

I was sitting on our love seat in the backyard, drunk from the sun burning my face, and listening to the noisy quiet that was all around me. I could hear my little ladies clucking away as only they can, my husband washing the cars (thanks, hubs!), and the far-away sound of a lawn mower and barking dogs.

Now, on to my point.

I enjoy that second before you feel the breeze. You know, the second in between when you hear the trees rustle and then feel the coolness on your face? That one. As I waited for the space in between the sound to catch up with me, I thought "how sorry I am for those who live in the desert...they never get to experience this." Really and truly. They live in baron land - sand, prickly, stumpy plants, straws of hay-like stuff, heat, dryness and never ending nothing-ness. They don't know what wind whistling through trees sound like. They wouldn't be able to hear the creaking limbs or quickening of the leaves as they are pushed together and apart by the wind. As I lounged there, glad for the cool breeze that was cooling off my hot face, I couldn't help but relate it to God. (WARNING: this will be a constant topic on my blog. It's a constant topic in my heart. I am not apologetic, nor will I change).

So about God...

It seems that those who walk in the desert (without God) have a perspective on life that, to me, looks very much like it would look if I were peering out across a desert. Dry, hard prickly cacti with the occasional flower, vast, bleak, monochromatic. Sure, I've seen successful people and even (dare I say?) happy people who don't know the Lord, but they also don't know what they're missing.

I compare this to my time lounging on Mother's Day. Getting as hot and scorched as I would have if I were in the desert (purposely - I DESPERATELY need color!) BUT...the difference is that I kept waiting and waiting for the reminder, the cool breeze, that God would always take care of me - always meet my needs. When I got SO hot that I would have to find shade, a breeze would come. When life is SO hot that I would have to find shade, a breeze always comes.

The space in between the sound of the breeze and the breeze itself is like a moment of prayer. Sometimes we pray and hear the leaves rustle...but the wind isn't strong enough to make it to our hearts. Other times, the opposite happens. We need to simply trust the space in between to supply us with the breeze we need.

OK - enough of the thickness for now. I've got some dishes to do.

~ Love & Light ~

No comments:

Post a Comment