Saturday, June 25, 2011

Out of the Mouth of Babes

My kids are pretty smart. Yes, I'm their Mom so I can say that, but I truly believe it - all biases aside. One of the things that strikes me daily is the amount of wisdom these babes of mine have.

I posted a gem on facebook the other day. It came from Ace, my middle daughter (Ace is her nickname...and it fits perfectly). She said "The rain is God's way of showing us His wisdom, right Mommy?" Ummmmm. Right, Ace. Exactly true.

How many times have you been here - picture this - the rain is pouring, we're soaked, our shoes are ruined, our clothes feel heavy, we can't get warm, and shelter wouldn't matter because we are beyond what help it offers. Been there? I have. Figuratively speaking, of course (and physically been there once when I was taking a motorcycle safety class - but that's another story for another time). When you're in this storm, you would do anything for reprieve...a fresh hoodie and some sweat pants, a cup of coffee, a warm, dry place to simply rest.

Where do you go when you need a hoodie to cover and comfort you and a place where you can find warmth and shelter? Can you guess where this is going? I'll bet you can, my smart readers. You know me all too well.

I find cover and comfort in my bible. I find it in my time of prayer and reflection about where I went wrong and what I need to do to fix it. I find it in my repentance because usually a storm is brought on by my disobedience. I find it in the faint sun that appears when the storm and the threat of a new storm have passed.

In my bible today, I was reading the parables in the book of Matthew. I found two places to prove that Ace's comment was truly inspired.

1. Matthew 21:16 - "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise'?" This prompted me to ask where Jesus was referring to - it must be in another part of this gospel. So I backpedaled and found this:

2. Matthew 11:25 - "At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Can you see the aha moment??!?!?

Of course Ace would be ordained with all these nuggets of wisdom...because GOD HIMSELF has hidden things from the wise and learned and revealed them to LITTLE CHILDREN!! Clearly, out of the mouth of babes is true wisdom that finds us when we need.

We can ask for wisdom - my bible tells me so. We can pray for wisdom - my bible tells me so. But children? They are bestowed with wisdom ... what a wonderful gift. I know I have seen the blessing of it in my life.

How about you? Do you have a "out of the mouth of babes" story? Post it in my comments. I would love to know!

Love & Light

No comments:

Post a Comment